This gallery contains 3 photos.
On Sunday 23rd February, a visit to the newly refurbished parish museum, was organised by Wirt iż-Żejtun for a small group of young teenagers attending the Society of Sacred Doctrine MUSEUM of Żejtun. The boys were guided around the highlights … Continue reading
MEPA has approved the application submitted by Wirt iż-Żejtun for the restoration of the stone statue of St. Gregory which is found in the open space in front of the Old Parish Church of Zejtun.
The works on this statue are planned to start soon and will be completed before the feast of St Gregory, which will be celebrated on the first Wednesday after Easter Sunday. The restoration will involve the cleaning of the stone from deposits, whilst making sure that the patina is retained, re-pointing of open joints and repairs to broken moldings. The works will be carried out by a restoration technician qualified in masonry heritage skills.
At the moment Wirt iż-Żejtun is looking for a sponsor in order to assist us in the expenses involved. Anyone interested in giving some help should contact us by email on firstname.lastname@example.org.
This gallery contains 1 photos.
Ms Fiona Vella, the Public Relations Officer of Wirt iż-Żejtun, has been elected as a substitute member on the Civil Society Committee of the Malta Council for Economic and Social Development. The Executive Committee of Wirt iż-Żejtun has nominated Ms … Continue reading
This is going to be the official logo which will be used by Wirt iż-Żejtun to commemorate the 4th Century Anniversary of the 1614 Ottoman attack on iż-Żejtun.
This logo was designed by graphic artist Daniel Spagnol. The logo shows the victory of the Zejtun citizens over the attack by the Turks in 1614. The sword which is a representation of the Turks, is presented in red tonalities and rough brushed strokes, portraying blood and death. On the other hand the ribbon in green tonalities representing the locality’s flag is wrapped around the sword emphasizing the victory over the Turks.
This logo will be used by Wirt iż-Żejtun during the activities and initiatives being planned for this year to commemorate this anniversary.
The Annual General Meeting of Wirt iż-Żejtun was held today, the 26th Janaury 2014. During this meeting the Executive Committee presented its annual report and the financial report for 2013.
The President of Wirt iż-Żejtun briefed the members about the activities and initiatives being planned for 2014, which happens to be the 4th Century Anniversary since the Ottoman attack of 1614 on iż-Żejtun.
Members of Wirt iż-Żejtun had the opportunity to ask questions and raise proposals to be considered during this year by the committee.
This gallery contains 2 photos.
We apologise for posting the December 2013, Issue No 11 of our news letter late in time. The editorial of this issue looks back at the three years since Wirt iz-Zejtun became active. The main article on the front page … Continue reading
On Tuesday 19th November, Wirt iż-Żejtun organised a presentation about the historical development of the Żejtun Parish Church. This event was lead by Ms Giulia Privitelli, a graduate in History of Art, who presented her research work conducted as part of her thesis. Her thesis supervisors were Rev. Gino Gauci and Dr Conrad Thake.
The audience present followed with great interest the new historical facts which were unveiled by this young researcher. Her study brought out new names of key people who worked on the design, additions and alteration to this magnificent church following Lorenzo Gafa’s death in 1703. Among the names mentioned were Giuseppe Bonnici, Annunziato Cachia, Michele Cachia and Giacomo Bianco.
During the coming year, Wirt iż-Żejtun will be collaborating with Ms Privitelli in order to publish her research. All the income from this publication will be collected in a special fund which will be donated to the Żejtun Parish once the restoration works on this important architectural monument starts.
At the end of the event, Perit Ruben Abela, President of Wirt iż-Żejtun, presented a memento to the new archpriest of St Catherine’s Parish, Rev. Nicholas Pace.
The museum before refurbishment
The Żejtun Parish Museum was officially reopened following complete refurbishment on Monday 18th November 2013 by His Excellency Dr George Abela, President of Malta.
The opening ceremony followed a choral concert by the Collegium Musicum choir under the directorship of Mro. Prof. Dion Buhagiar, Maestro di Cappella Cathedralis. The concert was held at the parish church and was well attended.
The museum after refurbishment
The refurbishment of the museum which was originally set up in the late 1950s, was a project which was planned by the late Fr Eric Overend and was partly funded through EU Funds under the Improvement of Tourism Facilities Fund managed by the Ministry for Tourism.
In contrast to the original set up, the new museum portrays a selection of historical artefacts and paintings which highlight the development of this important town in the East of Malta which was not only the centre of religious and cultural activity through the ages, but was also an area prone to frequent invasions and landing by the corsairs and the Ottoman fleet.
There were words of praise from all those who visited the museum not only to the display itself but also to the fine detailing of the presentation.