Could it be that this street was named after this niche, or is it more realistic that it was named after the chapel dedicated to St. Mary found further up the same street? The latter suggestion is more realistic, then one could say that the niche was done after the naming of the street.
DI GIORNI 40 CHI RECITA
UNA SALVE REGINA
CONCESSA DA MR. SANT
li 29 Obre 1857
The niche up to some years ago was painted in white colour and the statue was in polychromy. All the paint and colour was stripped down when the niche was restored and through such stripping any possible original polychromy has been completely lost.
Of a major eyesore are the bunch of cables passing haphazardly over the indulgence plaque beneath the niche.